- Fri March 1 2019 meeting will be at 10:30 eastern time. https://mwstake.org/mwstake/wiki/Event:84 Use the blue jeans link.
- Feb 10 phone call is at 10am Eastern time
- EMWCon 2017 will include a March 8 evening editathon which I am co-organizing, and my lightning talk
MediaWiki in governments
I am a good contact for MediaWiki users in government establishments. I work in the U.S. government and have been a longtime advocate of MediaWiki there. Can email me from here or post to my discussion page here or maybe more effectively on en.wikipedia.org.
Role for Stakeholders in engineering coordination or planning
I asked: when has MW engineering done something difficult because stakeholders didn't speak up? I got several answers, mostly in a lunchtime conversation at SMWCon 2015:
- hit counters disappeared, summer 2015
- The new functionality in Flow used something called "handlebars" which was different from other internal architecture and experienced developers were dragged along into learning it
- The new functionality Node.js ("micro services?") wandered in as part of Visual Editor and this makes it hard to get Visual Editor going on servers outside the Foundation.
- PHP Composer wandered in and broke things for some wiki farms, badly, requiring a lot of reengineering
Two ways to avoid such dramas:
- have a road map so people know what's coming and can negotiate, discuss, plan
- confer with Stakeholders when turning technical corners
- Log in here thru google as econterms
- Click here for recent changes on this wiki