User:Bryan Hilderbrand/Meeting Notes (18DEC)

From mwstake
Jump to: navigation, search

Attendees[edit]

  • Ad Strack van Schijndel
  • Bryan Hilderbrand
  • Eric-Jan van Kakerken
  • Greg Rundlett
  • Ike Hecht
  • Lex Sulzer
  • Lexi McGillivray
  • Markus Glaser
  • Rich Evans
  • Richard Heigl
  • Yaron Koren

Meeting notes for MediaWiki "Products" Discussion (Fri Dec 18 16:00-17:00 UTC 2020)

Notes[edit]

  1. Introductions
  2. Yaron
    • 30s Elevator Pitch
  3. Rich
    • Does this represent a way to pay for things? (buy a fix for an issue, etc.)
    • What is the governance model?
  4. Markus
    • Like a common core? Or a collection of Use Cases (Templates + Use Cases)?
      • Each product would be MW + Extensions + Templates/Forms Yaron
    • MWStake already exists, should this be under their umbrella?
  5. Ad
    • This is similar to the talk I gave at SMWCon2020 called "MediaWiki based open source content services platform" (YouTube link)
    • We need a "common foundation" (MW + Extensions + Search + etc.)
    • Internally we have a tool to "sync" via git
    • We have CRM & Workflow modules
    • Could have a menu with a dropdown so people can add other "Products"/"Components"/"Modules"
      • I think it's better to sell each thing as a stand-alone Product without overselling it as something that "does everything". Better to undersell & then grow Yaron
  6. Richard
    • We need a distribution of MW+
    • Something like the "Sunflower Distribution" (discussed during an MWStake meeting on 04OCT19 link)
  7. Eric-Jan
    • "Content Services Suite"
  8. Ad
    • I think we should focus on the platform with one approach
      • We can do that in parallel Yaron
  9. Lex
    • Should we start with concept vs. technical first?
      • End Users
      • Admins
      • Customers' Developers
        Concept vs Technical.png
  10. Rich
    • Lex, you mentioned the word "Idempotence", can you define it?
      • "Idempotence is the property of certain operations in mathematics and computer science whereby they can be applied multiple times without changing the result beyond the initial application."
  11. Rich
    • We have a solution for MW+, Meza!
    • Software Version Description
      • Known set of software that plays well together
      • Use git
    • Different approach from Software <--> Templates/Forms/etc.
      • Doesn't use git
      • Need to bring wiki content under version control (like git)
        • Totally agree Ad
        • Could store it on git Yaron
    • Eric-Jan
      • Draw up a list of standard products Ad & Yaron agree on
  12. Rich
    • Document Management is a good package idea
    • I've been working on a solution and have it deployed on my wikis
  13. Richard
    • Need to define a list of requirements
      • Requirements are at the core of my world Rich
      • Good requirements just mean, "I provide this"
  14. Yaron
    • ISO seems like a good "product"
      • Yes, this is a good Use Case Richard
  15. Bryan
    • Are/Should "Help Pages" shipped with the products
    • Having good documentation/manual really helps with adoption
  16. Ad
    • We have a "People"/"Organization" Product
      • Would you be willing to "open source" it? Yaron
        • We would consider it Ad
  17. Eric-Jan
    • All this is high level/technical, we need the marketing approach
      • Mission/Vision/Values Rich
      • Clearly we have interest/traction Yaron

Areas of focus[edit]

  1. Branding (Mission/Vision/Values)
  2. Container Method
  3. Business Case
  4. MW+ Deployment
  5. Package Technical (Wikibase has a solution they're happy with. Also MABS?)
  6. Package Complete Workflow
  7. Marketing


Next steps[edit]

  1. Split future meeting into 2 tracks
    1. Infrastructure (Nice article on Docker/Ansible)
    2. Package/Products/Marketing
  2. Create meeting agenda before meeting
    • How best to build? Use Etherpad/Wiki to collect agenda items?
  3. Next meeting 1st week of 2021
  4. Rich to create a wiki for demonstration/development