7 February 2020 MWstake Meeting
|Date (UTC):||7 February 2020 16:30:00 - 7 February 2020 17:30:00|
|Attendees:||Bryan Hildebrand, Cindy Cicalese, Daren Welsh, Evita Hollis, Ike Hecht, Lex Sulzer, Vincent Brooks|
Click for time zone conversion
- Wait for attendees & chat 5 min
- EMWCon 2020 Update 10 min Rich
- EMWCon 2020 "Pre-conference Hackathon" 10 min Cindy
- Wiki Quickie - WikiWho/WhoColor/WhoVIS 5 min Bryan
- WikiWho provides a way to easily determine per word attribution on a wiki.
- Installation page using TamperMonkey (or GreaseMonkey on FireFox and JS)
- Example whoVIS (using Tropical Storm Alberto (2006) & Talley Vineyards)
- GitHub link, Phabricator ticket, & Phabricator ticket (Daren)
- WWT Extension
- Potential issue with upcoming PHP based parser and SMW/
- Wiki Watercooler remaining Open Mic
- EMWCon pre-Pre-Conference
- (Cindy) Many people are coming in early (Sunday/Monday) to meet before
- (Cindy) Not formal, but we can discuss/meet/collaborate/hack/etc.
- (Lex) We can discuss fundraising
- (Bryan) We should have a group during the pre-conference (or maybe create camp during the conference) to discuss "Marketing MediaWiki"
- EMWCon 2020 Update
- (Cindy) Venue reserved for "Pre-Conference"
- (Cindy) Conference rate ($104/night). Yaron is working to extend that to pre-conference attendees
- (Cindy) Cindy, Yaron, and Rich are meeting Wednesdays to continue planning
- (Cindy) Conference rate includes waterpark admission
- (Cindy) Sam Willson (WMF) will be arriving 1 day early
- (Daren) Does the room give access to your entire "group/family"?
- (Update) Each room is allotted 4 waterpark passes
- (Cindy) Conference dinner in Sandusky. We might need some travel coordination.
- (Cindy) We have arranged for video/live streaming
- (Cindy) We need notice in advance:
- 1 month - Foreign nationals
- 2 weeks - T-shirt sizing
- (Cindy) Only 1 talk so far has been announced, we need more
- (Cindy) At this point, it looks like a larger conference than normal (≈50 vs <45)
- (Ike) I'm arriving Tuesday, can provide rides for people
- (Bryan) I'm arriving Sunday evening and can provide rides (already have Lex and possibly Daren). Might be able to make a second trip.
- Should we discuss "wanted talks" for the conference?
- WikiWho/WhoColor/WhoVIS demonstration
- (Bryan) Showed the browser extensions via example and some more analytics, see links above
- Potential issue with upcoming PHP based parser and SMW
- (Cindy) For background, there used to be 2 parsers, one for Core and one for Parsoid (VE)
- (Cindy) Parsoid was ported from JS to PHP which has had performance improvement
- (Cindy) This is being built into MW Core and will be released around July
- (Cindy) The PHP Parser allows extensions to "Hook" into the "pre-parser" and "post-parser", but not in the middle . SMW needs to hook into the middle with things like
[[property::value]], however it appears the set parser function can do this
- (Cindy) There might be some impact to other extensions as well, but the big one is SMW
- (Cindy) Additionally, there are some changes coming to the Front End Architecture that might effect some skins
- (Lex) Has anyone dealt with NEO4J using semantic databases?
- (Lex) I'm using the GO language to query SMW via API
- (Lex) showed the group AlternativeTo.net, a crowdsourced website that lets you see alternative software choices
- (Daren) Why isn't MediaWiki shown as an alternative to SharePoint on the site?
- (Bryan) I added it, if people have time, create an account and vote for the same. Easiest way is to create an account, go to the SharePoint page, click the edit button (next to the Facebook and Twitter link) and "Add an alternative"
- (Lex) Another graph database I've looked into is OrientDB
this page for more informationSee