5 February 2021 MWstake Meeting
|Date (UTC):||5 February 2021 16:30:00 - 5 February 2021 17:30:00|
|Attendees:||, , , , , , , ,|
- Wait for attendees & chat
- Wiki Quickie
- MediaWiki News
- Wiki Watercooler
The meeting voice transcription is available on the talk page.
- Update from Vincent
- I'm learning Ansible via an online course.
- My goal is to contribute to Meza.
- Connecting to New Users
- Funny story about my first EMWCon. It was right after I started at NASA and didn't have much experience with MediaWiki. I listened to Lex's talk and I was in the front row, after the talk Lex approached me and asked me what I thought. One thing I didn't understand was what a Category was in a wiki so I asked him. Lex immediately asked if I was an "newbie".
I'd like to give a talk at the next EMWCon targeted at new users.
- That would be amazing! I wish I had attended something like that at my first EMWCon and I'd still be really excited about that
- MediaWiki Skins
I talked to the developer of
- Twiki Tweeki shouldn't be confused with the alternate wiki platform
- Trying to decide if there's a community need for Chameleon
- Is it possible the community should choose Tweeki over Chameleon? It seems Chameleon is not being developed
- In related news, we are looking for a UI developer to collaborate wtih
What's the difference between Tweeki & Chameleon? They are both just MW + Bootstrap
- One difference is Tweeki can identify logged-in users and present different information (special pages, etc.) that non-logged-in users don't see
- I love Chameleon, I use it often, and have contributed patches in the past
- Medik There's another new skin called
- I think there's an advantage to having 2 options, 3 isn't as ideal, law of diminishing returns
- MW Skins Here's a link to different
- MediaWiki News
- discussed what's new in MediaWiki
- TechCom (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technical_Committee) has been replaced by the Technical Decision Making Process (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Technical_Decision_Making_Process). This is a discussion forum with no clear decisionmaking powers but wider participation. They are looking for developers who would represent various parts of the non-WMF developer community. People with +2 can apply / be nominated until February 15. Details here: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Technical_Decision_Making_Process/Draft_Proposal_Community_Representation
- Giving out +2 was handled by TechCom; there is discussion on how it should be done in the future: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T273164
- MediaWiki will be significantly slower on Debian Buster than on previous Debian releases, due to Spectre mitigations. More info: https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2021-February/094230.html
- New RfCs:
- New library / MediaWiki feature: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Shellbox - updates Shell/ShellCommand classes to let you define the inputs and outputs for shell commands, and then execute those shell commands over a web service to limit the effect of vulnerabilities in external tools.
- Older RfCs accepted:
- Documentation on documentation was expanded (as part of Google's Season of the Docs): https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Documentation
- You can apply to mentor Outreachy or Google Summer of Code participants: https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2021-January/094199.html
- Have to jump off for a few
- Haha Lex
- burn hard!
- There's another wiki project I was confusing this for:
- Would love that handshake Bernhard
- The other skin being discussed:
- https://github.com/thaider/Tweeki Here's the code:
CSS/Specialist I work with who does knows how to do chameleon sub-skins:
- +43 664 5211974
- ah, tweeki is already in the wmflabs psge
- MW 1.36 alpha?
- What would be helpful is a changelog from LTS to LTS version. I am on MW 1.31 and go directyl to MW 1.35...
this page for more informationSee