3 July 2020 MWstake Meeting
|Date (UTC):||3 July 2020 15:30:00 - 3 July 2020 16:30:00|
|Attendees:||Bryan Hildebrand, Cindy Cicalese, Evita Hollis, Ike Hecht, Mark Hershberger, Markus Glaser, Peter Meyer, Richard Heigl|
Click for time zone conversion
- Wait for attendees & chat 5 min
Wiki Quickie 5 min TBD
- MediaWiki Blog Released 15 min Richard H
- Needs input: Authors, Corrections, Suggestions, etc.
- This month in MediaWiki 15 min Mark A. Hershberger
- Agenda Item XX min TBD
- Wiki Watercooler remaining Open Mic
- What's new in MediaWiki (Cindy) discussed what's coming in MediaWiki based off the notes prepared by Gergo (and reposted to mw.org here)
- 1.35 (out in a few weeks) will be the last release to support Internet Explorer (T248061)
- Uncached VisualEditor w/ Parsoid/PHP (no JS, no RESTBase) for MW 1.35 LTS (T248343)
- SkinTemplateOutputPageBeforeExec and a number of other hooks are being deprecated (T60137).
- Extensions can now provide alternative database backends (instead of the core MySQL, Postgres etc): https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T226857
- Gerrit updated to version 3. You can now create and edit patches via the web interface.
- But apparently it will be replaced by GitLab next year: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Release_Engineering_Team/GitLab
- GitLab is like a github, hosted elsewhere, e.g. WMF. It probably necessitates a switch from Jenkins to Argo.
- (Peter) Is it extraordinarily difficult to support IE? I'm surprised. In the fed govt many of us are supposed to use IE for some things and Edge has been unusable I'm told
- MediaWiki Logo change proposal
- Wikimedia re-branding
- Survey and open letter from community
- Law of Triviality https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_triviality
- (Peter) I reviewed it and asked to hold until more information was captured
- Abstract Wikipedia
- Approved by the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustee and Denny Vrandečić is joining the Foundation
- It looks like this will be a place to put Wikipedia pages that automatically translate into many languages. The pages will have some kind of sentences that refer to Wikidata items.
- (Mark) It may be too ambitious
- https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Abstract_Wikipedia/July_2020_announcement (Announcement)
- https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikilambda (Info)
- https://arxiv.org/abs/2004.04733 (White Paper)
- https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=23714875 (Hacker News with some commentary)
- Page Exchange
- (Ike) Explained the extension use and development
- (Cindy) Does PageExchange resolve https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T177496?
- MediaWiki blog
- (Richard) MediaWiki blog will be at https://mediawiki.blog (password protected)
- (Richard) The blog is ready to go but needs some help and final decision over the domain (mediawiki.blog)
- (Richard) Areas help is requested:
- Expand "What's New"
- "About us", for example a page on MWStake
- Privacy law acceptable? It's written based on GDPR
- (Bryan) If it's based on GDPR, it's likely ok for the rest of the world
- Should Board Members have their affiliation listed? (i.e. Board member X works for company Y)
- Will need articles - focused on mediawiki development? not enterprise wikis it seems
this page for more informationSee