13 February 2015 MWstake Meeting
|Date (UTC):||13 February 2015 15:00:00 - 13 February 2015 16:00:00|
|Attendees:||, , , , , ,|
Sharpen new focus
Time and Place
- Dial in
- http://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/MWStake <- This is a new etherpad for better branding!
See also Google event page: Attendees
- Synthesis of developer summit
- MWSG's role in MediaWiki development
- Focus areas: Communication, Monitoring
- Project in Phabricator (see Task T88965)
- Extension Management and requirements (see Task T534#1015786)
Synthesis of developer summit
- Take-away: lack of leadership when it comes to MW as a product. Issues are leadership and who wants to be lead
- Product conversation with Daemon, in which there is a commitment to work with 3rd parties. Was reassuring for 3rd party community.
- There are a lot of lone wolf developers, and no real decision making (Less Strategy, more like Guessology). Scary for 3rd party community
- Opportunity for BlueSpice or some other distribution... create open community
- Advocating 3rd party needs can be fruitful
- Lack of presence of SMW at the summit
- Future events?
- Professional recordings of sessions in St. Louis
MWSG's role in MediaWiki development
- How can group work to provide leadership for 3rd party community?
- WMF people said leadership is needed and we(?) could take on the role
- However: This is full-time work: How much do we want to do?
- We should, at least, make our interests known
- Take on leadership through advocacy, education, and being a resource for the community (see Focus areas: Communication, Monitoring below)
- How can group mitigate lone wolf developer culture/attitude/environment and advocate for 3rd party
- Can we coordinate efforts? As there is no planning, there is a high risk of duplicate efforts.
- We come together monthly to share news, current status, concerns, etc., and then synthesize message for community (see Focus areas: Communication, Monitoring below)
- Define our own standards for the next few years, or planning - maybe Stakeholders can find commitments
- This is where we go to rely on (standards) for the next few years and if Foundation makes changes we will use our standard to rely on as guidance
- MediaWiki environment for 3rd party is not secure now and security is important
Extension Management and requirements
- (see Task T534#1015786: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T534#1015786)
- please take a look and comment before we present to mailinglist
- this can show we have impact
- Bug Mark filed regarding Json, please comment on this
Focus areas: Communication, Monitoring
- Blog? Show what stakeholders are doing
- ACTION: Mark will write blog for this meeting
- Referring to the summit: use [mwstake] on twitter or mailing lists.
- Blog synthesizes our thinking (mwstake)?
- Twitter to raise attention
- Use a committee for communication?
- ACTION: Set up a SMW (Cindy). Proposed timeframe 1 week
- Connect people like gamepedia, other big 3rd party users. How?
- Have a one pager about what we do
- Project in Phabricator (see Task T88965: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T88965). We should ask for this to be set up.
- Quim ask if we want project in Phabricator
- Having tag is helpful
- Quim ask if we want project in Phabricator
- Wikimedia conference in Berlin in May 2015 (https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Conference_2015)
- governance, inviting user groups, have two weeks to apply
- Markus or Richard? Markus will let us know if he can, he will also be happy to step aside if someone else wants to go
- Reporting needed to be taken serious: what we did and achievements. Could Mitre set up be part of all of reporting requirement?
- ACTION: Reporting: Markus and Chris collaborate
- Role of Mark and Markus
- No longer release managers, Foundation is taking it internally as part of strategy/non-strategy
- Does probably not impact our ability to be a part of MW development
- Chris submission of WM 2015: https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/Sharing_nice:_Teaching_large_enterprises_how_to_change_knowledge_management_with_open_collaboration
- Mark's submission to WM 2015: https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/Third_party_wikis_help_Wikimedia_thrive
- Markus's submission to WM 2015: https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Submissions/Quo_Vadis_MediaWiki%3F_or_Is_MediaWiki_Part_of_our_Mission_for_Free_Knowledge%3F&diff=next&oldid=10746
- Next meeting: keeping to our current schedule for future meetings. Since our schedule was aligned with prior release schedule and this is no longer present, we migh want to align our future meetings to Foundation release schedule if and when they publish one
- ACTION: Chris will create task in Phabricator for request for release schedule.