10 February 2017 MWstake Meeting
|Date (UTC):||2017/02/10 15:00 UTC - 2017/02/10 15:00 UTC|
|Attendees:||, , , , , , ,|
News and Updates
- Developer Wishlist
- Technical Collaboration's (WMF) role in supproritng third-party users
- Known contact points: Quim (via Chris) is the liaison for us
- CTO reportedly supports MediaWiki as a product
- New MediaWiki core team!?
- Dedicated people (Engineers, Product managers)
- ROADMAP!!!! (tbd)
- Very encouraging to hear support for MW as a product.
- Will probably have WMF engineer(s) at the EMWCon
- Cloud Team
- WMFLabs & Tools
- "Wikimedia cloud services"
- Brian Davis is leading
- Historical interest in 3rd party
- Dockerize MW?
- Some feedback I've heard from WMF folks on leadership in MWStake
- Criticism: MWStake started out really strong, but people are a bit unimpressed
- Waiting for getting something more concrete accomplished
- There are visibility issues with mwstake, we do things (e.g. extensions, EMWCon) but we are not branding it as mwstake
- #mwstake will host (i.e. lend its name to, no money involved) an edit-a-thon the first evening of EMWCon in conjunction with WikiDC
- Evening of first day 5:30-9:30
- offsite from EMWCon venue
- probably government transition oriented
- first evening (Weds) editathon focused on gov links notably to whitehouse.gov if those links are still broken
- Peter Meyer expects to get support from WikiDC for food for this first evening.
- Co-sponsoring with some org, e.g. MWstake, is important to making that happen
- Social event second evening
- Open Semantic Data Associaton - they support SMWCon, but my understanding from Yaron is that they are not involved in EMWCon
- ACTION: all promote Call for Participation for EMWCon
- ACTION: Mark talk to Lex about create camp
- 6 hour track on Friday (May 19-21), i.e. 8 slots, 45 minutes each (possibly)
- Works for branding MWStake
- Working title: "The potential of MediaWiki" -> find something better
- Draft programme should be ready by next Wednesday
- Topic suggestions?
- Use case +!
- Panel discussion
- Apply for travel assistance
- ACTION: Markus etherpad with draft schedule
- Possibly attending: Lex, Chris, Mark, Markus, Cindy, Peter
- Status and next steps
- Need a clearly defined outcome
- hosting of MWStake and Wikiapiary!?
- <shamless plug>Wikimedia Cloud Services</shameless plug>
- FOSS Umbrella orgs in the EU
- Alternative structures, non US incorporation
- Just go B-Corp? "public benefit corporation"
- Plan was: US 501(c)(6), a professional organisation
- Need to align with WMF
- Apply for Grants
- Wikimedia DC could do a "fiscal sponsorship"
- Possibly that even could include paid staff.
- ACTION: Mark & Peter hash this out