Maryana Iskander Listening Tour
|Date (UTC):||24 November 2021 15:00:00 - 24 November 2021 16:00:00
|Attendees:||Šarūnas, Aleksey, Alexis Hershberger, Antoine Musso, Ariel Glenn, BD808, Bernhard Krabina, Bill Pirkle, Bryan Hildebrand, Cindy Cicalese, Clara Andrew-Wani, Daniel Kinzler, Derk-Jan Hartman, Eric-Jan, Gergő Tisza, Greg Rundle, Krinkle, Lex Sulzer, Mark Hershberger, Markus Glaser, Maryana Iskander, Mehrdad Pourzaki, Petr Pchelko, Richard Heigl, Robert Vogel, Siebrand Mazeland, Testimony, Thomas Chin|
Click for time zone conversion
As part of her commitment "to listen and seek to understand", the incoming CEO of the Wikimedia Foundation, Maryana Iskander, is undertaking a listening tour of the Wikimedia movement.
The MediaWiki Stakeholder's Group is hosting a Zoom call for all MediaWiki users to discuss MediaWiki and its importance to the Wikimedia Foundation's vision to "freely share in the sum of all knowledge."
Please join us for a short presentation followed by a Q&A.
This meeting is governed by the Wikimedia Friendly Space Policy.
- Time conversion link
- Maryana's Listening tour
- Etherpad (add your questions here)
- Antoine Musso Antoine here, past author of MediaWiki but I am not involved anymore. I am here out of curiosity :]
- Cindy Cicalese https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Friendly_space_policy
- Alexis Hershberger Alexis, user, here to listen. :)
- Krinkle Wikivoyage.org: travel guide wiki.
- Gergő Tisza https://www.appropedia.org/ is also a quite impressive wiki (about sustainable technologies for people in emerging economies)
- Daniel Kinzler Happy to talk about Wikibase, since I was involved with it's inception and implementation
- Derk-Jan Hartman Might be good to mention why ppl felt there was a need for mwstake a couple years ago.
- Bryan Hilderbrand For anyone that came after the original chat post, feel free to add your questions here: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/mwstake-Maryana-Iskander
- Krinkle Wikibase, as deployed on Wikidata, powers parts of Apple SIri, Google Knowledge Graph, Alexa, etc.
- Bryan Hilderbrand Wikibase is now increasingly being used outside WMF sites as well including Libraries, Galleries, Museums, etc.
- Gergő Tisza I think English Wikipedia feels they have higher verification / anti vandalism standards than Wikidata (a smaller, newer community) so they are skeptical of the idea of outsourcing some of their knowledge curation to that project
- Mehrdad Pourzaki From Wikidata - Maryana Iskander (Q86589685)
- Daniel Kinzler :)
- Gergő Tisza ( https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q86589685 )
- Krinkle These identifiers are especially useful for disambiguation, e.g. which of the 300 remakes of a film are we talking about, or maybe the book, or maybe some other concept that shares the same word/name.
- Bryan Hilderbrand Great example Mehrdad :)
- Gergő Tisza https://betweenthebrackets.libsyn.com/episode-3-mike-cariaso is a great podcast with the founder of SNPedia where he goes into how great unique identifiers are, e.g. for NLP
- Eric-Jan van Kakerken More clarity from the MWF would ask for policy
- Bill Pirkle Fandom: https://www.fandom.com/
- Krinkle e.g. https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Flower_Shop (beware, commercial adverts present on the page)
- Mehrdad Pourzaki Recommendation 1 :)
- Gergő Tisza https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1w0Gq1FgyFuKw_6bMPUfvYQc9CTtRdmwwjGMrE69zpjk/edit was my old deck about this
- Antoine Musso Time check: 15 minutes left
- Richard Heigl I have something to Daniel and Gergö
- Daniel Kinzler Daniel Mietchen is the guy to talk to about scientific publishing on MediaWiki
- Gergő Tisza MediaWiki: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations/Iteration_2/Product_%26_Technology/7 is the movement strategy recommendation about (this is a draft; in the final text most things are super-compressed and not easily understandable)
- Bryan Hilderbrand Daniel: Thomas Shafee is also involved with scientific publishing on MW. Thanks for the tip on Daniel Mietchen!
- Markus Glaser gerrit
- Eric-Jan van Kakerken I agree with Richard. What´s the WMF/MWStakeholders relationship aiming for and what is the linked plan? Please keep us posted on this Maryana.
- Krinkle Is that based on mediawiki/core and grouping authors by org association?
- Derk-Jan Hartman Yeah the foundation has really closed down
- Mehrdad Pourzaki Wiki conference season 🙂
- Bryan Hilderbrand Time check. About 1 minute. We need to wrap up :)
- Derk-Jan Hartman exactly
- Bernhard Krabina Hope to see many of you at #SMWCon: https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/SMWCon_Fall_2021
- Antoine Musso Thank you to have organized this session!
- Mehrdad Pourzaki Thank you all for being here
- Bryan Hilderbrand Thanks Maryana!!!
- Richard Heigl Thank you all.
- Derk-Jan Hartman Good point Mark !
- Greg Rundlett I want to welcome Maryana and wish Good Luck! And Thank You!
- Siebrand Mazeland Bye!