5 June 2020 MWstake Meeting
|Date (UTC):||5 June 2020 15:30:00 - 5 June 2020 16:30:00|
|Attendees:||Bryan Hildebrand, Cindy Cicalese, Gergő Tisza, Lex Sulzer, Mark Hershberger, Markus Glaser, Peter Meyer, Rich Evans|
Click for time zone conversion
- Wait for attendees & chat 5 min
Wiki Quickie 5 min TBD
- Agenda Item XX min TBD
- Wiki Watercooler remaining Open Mic
The meeting voice transcription is available on the talk page.
- MediaWiki Core Changes (Gergo) discussed several upcoming changes that might effect 3rd party usage
- Stable Interface Policy
- Helps the foundation so that they can easier change interfaces
- Gives 3rd party devs a more reliable expectation of what portions of the code they can safely use
- New logo syntax
- Vector skin is being refactored (more reader friendly)
- Splits the logo into graphic and text (wordmark) part (Phabricator)
- Default and own logos will need to be updated
- Can be seen on beta wikipedia
- New hook syntax
- Hook handlers are now objects => supports dependency injection, easier testing
- Interfaces are now supported => more can be verified statically
- All core hooks have been replaced
- Stakeholders: update documentation? No, WMF team is on it
- ACTION ITEM Is there an issue with Semantic MediaWiki? => Mark to raise this with the SMW community
- ACTION ITEM Cindy to give Mark URL for this.
- Abstract database schemas
- This changes the way the database schema is updated in extensions
- The rewrite is being done by volunteers, help is appreciated => MWStake?
- Support for Postgres and MS SQL was removed from core, but databases can be added by extensions
- There is now only one options manager, so if you do some complex stuff with user options, please review your code - if $user1 and $user2 refer to the same user, $user1->setOption(...) used to not have an effect on $user2 before it was saved, this is different now. Can cause subtle problems in some extensions.
- Stable Interface Policy
- Composer-based extension management RfC update
- (Mark) Next step: documenting the best practices and details
- (Markus) Who does the documentation?
- (Mark) MWStake to take a lead in documentation
- Somebody needs to write an exception handler. => Robert
- Composer merge plugin (will stop working with Composer 2.0) => Cindy has an eye on this
- New MW release
- (Cindy) MW 1.35 code freeze is around July 15th => Release early August
- (Cindy) 2020-06-07: Only about three weeks between code freeze and Release ?! What about SMW and other extensions?
this page for more informationSee