Sunflower MediaWiki is a new multi-purpose MediaWiki distribution.
(This is a draft)
By providing an "essential MediaWiki" for administrators around the world, several goals are to be achieved:
- To promote the awareness and distribution of MediaWiki, extensions, bundles, communities and service providers.
- Create a collaborative project for third-party users and developers (non-profit and for-profit) to improve stability:
- Organizing the maintenance of the included extensions
- Sharpening awareness of the basic functions with which new functions must cooperate
- Providing a basis for the technical developments of various projects: Meza, Semantic MediaWiki, BlueSpice MediaWiki, Language Bundle and many more
- Development of programming standards and agreement on technologies and architectures
- Admins and developers who run MediaWikis in a professional environment
- Cloud Service Providers
A first proposal for extensions that are delivered with Sunflower
|Extensions by MediaWiki||Extensions by Sunflower MediaWiki||Skins by MediaWiki||Skins by Sunflower MediaWiki|
It also comes with a "best practice default configuration" for all of these extensions/skins.
- The distribution is build using
composerand published as "tarball" and "docker image" (may include Parsoid and ElasticSearch).
Release and distribution
- Approach: The releases of Sunflower will / can be delivered by Hallo Welt! for the MediaWiki Stakeholders. MWStakeholders offer an automatically provisioned (?) rolling release on a public download portal: http://sunflowermediawiki.org/
- There will be only one edition, where different sets of extensions can be enabled
A branding of one's own is time-consuming but necessary in order to create a project that is attractive and open to all stakeholders (from Wikimedia to Nichework, Meza to SMW) and builds bridges here.
- Adding Semantic / Cargo? BlueSpice Foundation? Basix extensions for extension families
- Decision making and responsiblities
- Release Board: Who will attend?