MediaWiki Usage Report for Wikimania 2015
[Interwiki transcluding is disabled]
- Introduction (What this is all about)
- There are people using MediaWiki!
- Show regional users (with downloads!)
- Show extension downloads
- Show extensions in repo that are not on WMF-related projects
- Show extension authors (focus on extensions made outside of WMF)
- Why are they using it?
- What can we do to encourage outside enterprises to contribute their work back to MW and the community?
- What can we do to increase awareness and support of third party usage from the WMF?
- Tactical Efforts we want to attempt
- Frequent, ongoing, highlighting of new, interesting, or recently updated extensions
- Extension Mentorship Program - help people get their extension in the MW.org repo
- Opt-in registration as part of installation process for MediaWiki users
- Understand Who are the MW users and what do they need?
- Update Technical FAQ on MW.org (we might be able to work on this before Mexico - Chris K.)
Meeting on 2015-05-24
- Let's do stuff!
- Shift in WMs to shift towards measurable output
- We now have http://mwstake.org for published information
- Map the extensions out there needing to be shared (or even moved to gerrit?)
Ckoerner -- talks over his points in the below agenda
Discussion of extension mentors
- Make clear the benefit of publishing an extension in MW environment
- Corporate social responsibility
- Need to encourage people to help extension devs
- Need documentation *and* people
- MW community is hidden inside larger corporations
- There is a lack of visibility of MW users even within the foundation
- Extension mentoring: Cindy, Markus, Mark, Bawolff, Legoktm
- Publish about this, and have for example an "Extension of the month"
Statistics - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T100221
- We could become a rallying point for communication between 3rd parties and foundation
- stats for ED!
- Track regional users (with downloads!)
- RFC Opt-in for registration informaiton
- Is it realistic to getting d/l data?
- Ask analytics or research team of WMF to get data?
- We need to organize whining
- Lego published extension download statistics on phabricator "Extension Distributor statistics": https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/P661 (part of task https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T27844 )
- ACTION: Mark will ask
- Can we get any stats on extensions from git? github, gerrit, etc.? the above is only from ExtensionDistributor
Who are the MW users and what do they need?
- Collect Testimonials https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_testimonials
- like: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Sites_using_MediaWiki which already has hundreds of MediaWiki wikis, also sorted by language. Probably very ill maintained and incomplete.
- Write blog posts, wiki of the month
- Richard: Short reader about what people need
- GCI 2015: Students skimmed mailing lists for needs
- Manuel: Use phabricater project to endorse
- this really needs to prioritize the features features are known
- Markus: Look at technical wishlist in German Wikipedia as a role model and look for low hanging fruit https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Umfragen/Technische_W%C3%BCnsche/Top_20
- Beware, someone™ also created https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech_project_ideas
- Richard: Need to know, what people need not only wrt technology
- ACTION: Richard lead a discussion about non technical demands right after this session
- Page on mwstake wiki
- Technical FAQ started on mw.o
- ACTION bawolff, markus: update FAQ
- Google Hangout, June 5th -- ask hexmode on G+ if you want to be notified on G+
- Real life: 2015-07-18 14:00 Mexico City https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/MediaWiki_Stakeholders%27_Meetup#Interested_attendees
-- Meeting ends at 16:53pm
- SMWCon in Barcelona 28-30 October (before Halloween)
Agenda from Phabricator
What can we do to increase awareness and support of third party usage from the WMF? This is the "What's in it for the foundation/movement" aspect. We're leaving developers on the table! No one has stars on their belly if they don’t know about these events (like the hackathon) they can't help. Maybe they don’t feel welcome? Make events a safe space for non-wmf developers This helps in growing the ecosystem and the MW platform This makes non-wmf MW developer note feel like an afterthought What can we do to encourage outside enterprises to contribute their work back to MW and the community? Invite them to join us! The community is a way to find support Be part of a larger community - your bug reports, patches, extensions, gadgets, skins, etc can help others. There’s gold in them thar hills! - the financial and perceptual benefits to contributing to open-source projects Things we could tactically build (more ideas welcome) Improve documentation about installing and managing MW installations Host events around third-party mediawiki usage Build things (code and patches) that assist third-party use Improve extension management Improve extension documentation (such as on mediawiki.org) Hitcounter extension for 1.25 search customizations (ask Chris about showing Categories on search results) Improving crawl rules https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T10473 Limiting access to reading a wiki Learn more at the following links: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_Stakeholders%27_Group http://mwstake.org
Mark's Notes from the after-session discussion (on the lawn in Lyon)
Report to who? Find allies Wmf and why is this important to them Companies need to know we are here
Punt authors info to mwstake People in g plus group get mwstake accounts
Smwcon could be turned into mwstake con
MW stake is an org
roadmap is to become a thematic org Will take 2 years
Account can be had by meeting some criteria
Screencast for idea of wiki
Mwstake will remain closed sister wiki can be more open
Deadlines Download stats by tomorrow Wikimania Google hang out
Cataloging members Need to incorporate
We need roadmap and stated
Action questionnaire Names of members Numbers download Table of contents Wikimania agenda Start of Report by end of June