Difference between revisions of "Event:146"
|Line 28:||Line 28:|
Revision as of 13:12, 24 November 2021
|Date (UTC):||24 November 2021 15:00:00 - 24 November 2021 16:00:00
|Attendees:||, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,|
As part of her commitment "to listen and seek to understand", the incoming CEO of the Wikimedia Foundation, Maryana Iskander, is undertaking a listening tour of the Wikimedia movement.
The MediaWiki Stakeholder's Group is hosting a Zoom call for all MediaWiki users to discuss MediaWiki and its importance to the Wikimedia Foundation's vision to "freely share in the sum of all knowledge."
Please join us for a short presentation followed by a Q&A.
This meeting is governed by the Wikimedia Friendly Space Policy.
- Antoine here, past author of MediaWiki but I am not involved anymore. I am here out of curiosity :]
- Alexis, user, here to listen. :)
- Wikivoyage.org: travel guide wiki.
- https://www.appropedia.org/ is also a quite impressive wiki (about sustainable technologies for people in emerging economies)
- Happy to talk about Wikibase, since I was involved with it's inception and implementation
- Might be good to mention why ppl felt there was a need for mwstake a couple years ago.
- https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/mwstake-Maryana-Iskander For anyone that came after the original chat post, feel free to add your questions here:
- Wikibase, as deployed on Wikidata, powers parts of Apple SIri, Google Knowledge Graph, Alexa, etc.
- Wikibase is now increasingly being used outside WMF sites as well including Libraries, Galleries, Museums, etc.
- I think English Wikipedia feels they have higher verification / anti vandalism standards than Wikidata (a smaller, newer community) so they are skeptical of the idea of outsourcing some of their knowledge curation to that project
- From Wikidata - Maryana Iskander (Q86589685)
- https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q86589685 ) (
- These identifiers are especially useful for disambiguation, e.g. which of the 300 remakes of a film are we talking about, or maybe the book, or maybe some other concept that shares the same word/name.
- Great example Mehrdad :)
- https://betweenthebrackets.libsyn.com/episode-3-mike-cariaso is a great podcast with the founder of SNPedia where he goes into how great unique identifiers are, e.g. for NLP
- More clarity from the MWF would ask for policy
- https://www.fandom.com/ Fandom:
- https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Flower_Shop (beware, commercial adverts present on the page) e.g.
- Recommendation 1 :)
- https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1uVN-4QZdZEAnPyJqvCOqNp1LQbnDIDh2ascYBIasam4/edit was my old deck about this
- Time check: 15 minutes left
- I have something to Daniel and Gergö
- Daniel Mietchen is the guy to talk to about scientific publishing on MediaWiki
- https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations/Iteration_2/Product_%26_Technology/7 is the movement strategy recommendation about (this is a draft; in the final text most things are super-compressed and not easily understandable) MediaWiki:
- Daniel: Thomas Shafee is also involved with scientific publishing on MW. Thanks for the tip on Daniel Mietchen!
- I agree with Richard. What´s the WMF/MWStakeholders relationship aiming for and what is the linked plan? Please keep us posted on this Maryana.
- Is that based on mediawiki/core and grouping authors by org association?
- Yeah the foundation has really closed down
- Wiki conference season 🙂
- Time check. About 1 minute. We need to wrap up :)
- https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/SMWCon_Fall_2021 Hope to see many of you at #SMWCon:
- Thank you to have organized this session!
- Thank you all for being here
- Thanks Maryana!!!
- Thank you all.
- Good point Mark !
- I want to welcome Maryana and wish Good Luck! And Thank You!