What's new in MW for July 3, 2020
Revision as of 12:19, 3 September 2020 by Mark Hershberger (talk | contribs) (Undo revision 2451 by Mark Hershberger (talk))
by on 6 July 2020 09:27 (EDT)
From the recent #mwstake meeting:
- 1.35 (out in a few weeks) will be the last release to support Internet Explorer (T248061)
- Uncached VisualEditor w/ Parsoid/PHP (no JS, no RESTBase) for MW 1.35 LTS (T248343)
- SkinTemplateOutputPageBeforeExec and a number of other hooks are being deprecated (T60137).
- Extensions can now provide alternative database backends. Oracle and MS SQL are being moved out of core (instead of the core MySQL, Postgres etc): T226857
- Gerrit updated to version 3. You can now create and edit patches via the web interface.
- But Gerrit will be replaced by GitLab next year.
- GitLab's interface and work-flow is more similar to Github's, but it allows the WMF to host it. (See Gitlab's comparison to Github or a (less biased?) comparison from UserSnap.)
- Related, WMF's CI working group recommended replacing Jenkins with Argo.
- There is a proposal to change the MediaWiki logo with options available for consideration.